Thursday, November 21, 2013

Eau Claire Bike Route- exercise 4

dorndd_exercise4 by DakotaDorn
dorndd_exercise4, a photo by DakotaDorn on Flickr.

For this assignment I had the opportunity to use a GPS device to either "track" or "point" data on a base map of my choice.  I decided to take my GPS on a bike ride through Eau Claire and have it track my movement.  After gathering the data I then uploaded it to a data software, and from there into ArcGis.  I then dropped in a base map, and there you have it a map of my route!  I was very surprised how well the device was able to track me on my bike, even though portions of the trip were through dense tree cover.  Even in these times the information was still delivered, and my location tracked.  The ease of use for the GPS, along with the results you can achieve are reasons I wish to do more with this technology in the near future, like bring a GPS with me on a hiking trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment